What if I show you how to make your house smell amazing with things you already have at home with very little money. Would you be into it? I thought so! Homes are a lot more energy-efficient than they used to be, and that’s partly because we’ve gotten a lot better at making them airtight. That’s a good thing, but it also means that inside air quality has become a very real concern. We spend a lot of time in our living spaces (that’s what they’re for!), and the air inside is often worse than the air outside. Here are a few of our preferred air purifying hacks to help you fight back and breathe easier in your personal space.
All right, let’s get to it.
- Stove top Simmer: A great way to make your whole house, well at least your main floors smelling incredible is just too simple. Boil up some nice smelly ingredients in a pot with water or you can also do this in crock-pot and let it simmer all day. The concept is the same, fill your vessel half way with water, add any combination of nice ingredients. For example, take some cinnamon, cloves, oranges and vanilla extract. The goal here is you are going to bring to a boil or you are going to heat your slow cooker on low and you are going let your slow cooker sit all day and simmer and once this has hit a boil you will bring it down to simmer and let that go for a couple of hours. If it’s a pot on the stove make sure it attended and this, thankfully, can be left unattended.
- Coffee grinds: They can actually help deodorize any space in your home. Just put them into a bowl or an open-air container. Stick them anywhere that needs deodorizing, such as your closet, drawers. Leave it there and you’ll see the coffee grinds will start to absorb all of that odor. Change it out fairly regularly. It won’t smell like coffee, but those odors will be gone.
- Vanilla: If you love the vanilla vibe as much as I do. Here is a great way you can use vanilla extract to help make your fridge smell better. Now, there are two things you can do. The first one is you can wipe the plastic interior parts of your fridge down which a little bit of vanilla extract on a paper towel. That helps neutralize odors and plastic is porous so this really helps. The other thing you can do is soak a couple of cotton balls in vanilla extract, leave that in a bowl, just open air in the fridge somewhere and that will help neutralize the odors as well.
- Tobacco TKO: Putting bowls all around the house filled with white vinegar. Now, the house doesn’t smell like vinegar but the vinegar absorbed all of the odors from the tobacco. Now this works not only on tobacco, but any other sort of not-so-good smell in the house so you can use it while you’re cooking, you can put some near kitty litter. Of course, if you have smokers in the house or any other strong odor that you don’t like, this works like a charm.
- Essential Oil: If you have a nebulizer, you can add some essential oils to that, you can make your own reed diffuser, just take a little cotton ball, put it in a bowl and add about 15 drops of your favorite essential oil or blend of essential oils and plant that anywhere in your house. It will just help freshen up the space and gently disperse that smell. Here are a couple of other fun things you can do with essential oils around the house. Every time you change out your furnace filter, drop five or 10 drops of your favorite essential oil right onto the furnace filter. You can also put a few drops on your light bulb, that way every time you flick on the light, you’ll disperse a nice, gentle scent.
- Baking Soda Braun: It’s great for cleaning but it is even better for deodorizing. I can’t explain the science behind it but I can tell you, it is a master when it comes to eating up odors. So, what I like to do with baking soda is simply dump some of it into a container, you can put this anywhere around the house and it will simply absorb odors. That’s why people love putting baking soda in the fridge. The other thing you can do is put some baking soda in a sachet like this or sachet, I know this is polarizing but, if you put this in the sock drawer or a closet, it will really help remove odors. And finally, I love using baking soda on soft surfaces like carpet and upholstery. Just sprinkle it on there, leave it for 10, 15, 20 minutes and then vacuum it up. That baking soda will help lift dirt to the surface but it will also take any odors with it.
I love the smell of coffee and we’ll all of the solutions that we talked about are great ways to make your home smell nice. The real way to deodorize your home is to clean the smell at the source. So that means, you’ve got to clean your house on a regular basis. Specifically, if you notice that your house is smelly, here’s some things that you can do. Make sure you have a no shoes in the house policy or indoor shoes only. We talk about this a lot, but shoes track in dirt and dirt smells. Also, make sure you’re vacuuming your soft surfaces, carpets and upholstery on a regular basis. You also want to empty your garbage because that leads to odors as well.
And make sure that you open your windows. Let that fresh air come in, it will really make your house smell amazing. So now, you know how to make your house smell amazing too. Whether it’s filling your home with some nice simple scents or removing odors all together, my goal was to help you figure out how to do that without having to lay out any big bucks.
Please write us in comment, which are your favorite scent combinations. I mean, I know a few that I really like. I love rosemary, lemon, and vanilla. That mixed together is phenomenal. But I’d love to know what else is good and exciting and smells wonderful. What really turns you up when it comes to the scents? Let me know in the comment section below.